How To Prepare For Your 1st Acupuncture and/or Massage Treatment
- On the day of your appointment make sure to drink plenty of water before and after. This will allow your body to further flush any toxins away.
- Please make sure to always arrive 5 - 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. This ensures that you are not in a high stress mode when you arrive.
- Eat a substantial easy-to-digest meal or snack before every acupuncture and massage session. Please avoid a heavy meals.
- Avoid caffeine before treatments.
- Wear comfortable and loose fitting clothing.
- If you are receiving acupuncture we ask that you do not brush your tongue as it is a crucial part of our diagnosis. See the links below.
- Turn off or leave your cell phone in your vehicle. This is time you are devoting to your healing process. Leave the world behind and allow yourself to relax.
What To Expect
Initial Acupuncture Treatment
Your first acupuncture appointment will last 90 minutes, and is broken down into two parts. We begin with a thorough conversation. This is an extremely important part of our diagnostic process as it not only allows us to get to know you, but it helps us to understand how we can best address your health concerns. In this conversation we will discuss your health concerns, health history, lifestyle, and goals for treatment. Along with our conversation, we will be conducting a physical exam, tongue, and pulse diagnosis. (Learn more about Tongue and Pulse Dx ) After we have a firm understanding of where you would like your health to be, we will then recommend a course of treatment specifically tailored to your priorities.
Following our conversation we will explain how your treatment will go. Once you have a full understanding of what is to take place, and are comfortable with proceeding, acupuncture needles will be inserted into appropriate points in your body. We will usually leave you to relax in your treatment room for up to 20 minutes. This time is for you to escape from reality and relax while the needles influence your body’s energy and circulation. Please know that the treatment room is a safe and comfortable environment, we would like you to communicate with us at all times in order to provide you with the best treatment we can!
Follow-up Acupuncture Treatment
Follow-up visits also begin with a conversation, physical examination, tongue, and pulse diagnosis, with focusing primarily on your progress and any changes in your condition, as well as any new concerns.
Initial Massage Treatment
Your first massage appointment will last 105 minutes. The first 15 minutes of the appointment will allow us to talk about your health concerns, health history, lifestyle, and goals for treatment. After we have come to an understanding of what you would like your massage to entail, we will take the following 90 minutes to send you into deep relaxation. Please know that the treatment room is a safe and comfortable environment, we would like you to communicate with us at all times in order to provide you with the best treatment we can!
Follow-up Massage Treatment
Follow-up visits will also begin with a short conversation focusing primarily on progress and changes in your condition as well as any new concerns.
How Many Acupuncture Treatments Will You Need?
The number of treatments and regularity are determined by your needs and goals. Generally acupuncture is given once, occasionally twice, a week, depending on your condition, symptoms, and overall health. As your condition improves, and your symptoms are alleviated, your treatments may be slowly reduced.